How Far Down The Google Search Results Page Will People Go?

I guess this information is actually useful for some people, but for all of us useless info junkies out there, it’s just a piece of information that we will gladly share while having dinner with our friends and family for the sole purpose of being the most interesting person you know. 

Anyway, time to get to the point. How far down the Google search results page will most of us go? Page 2? Page 3? Or even further down than that?

Well, let’s look at the facts. (the article continues after the ad)

Because Google doesn’t release data regarding Search Engine Results Pages (SERP), we’ll have to rely on independent studies made by tracking analytics companies and/or online advertising networks. So, according to this interesting research, websites that appear on the first page of Google in a specific search receive almost a whopping 92% of web traffic, leaving just 8% for remaining search results pages. If we go further down, the first 5 (out of 10) results of page 2 receive an additional 3% leaving only 5% for the remaining page 2 and page 3.

Here are the results for each position of the first page:

  • First result: 32.5%
  • Second result: 17.6%
  • Third result: 11.4%
  • Fourth result: 8.1%
  • Fifth result: 6.1%
  • Sixth result: 4.4%
  • Seventh result: 3.5%
  • Eighth result: 3.1%
  • Ninth result: 2.6%
  • Tenth result: 2.4%

Interestingly, the first two (2) results on page 1 receive 50% of the clicks! This means that half of us find what they are looking for on the first two (2) results so they don’t need to scroll any further.

So, now you know!

If you like what you read, then you will definitely love this one: Crazy Map Shows The Most Googled Product In Every Country



Photo: I’m A Useless Info Junkie
Photoshop: I’m A Useless Info Junkie
Sources: The Value of Google Result Positioning | CTR study

The Reason Why Dimes Are Smaller Than Pennies And Nickels Even Though They Worth More

This Is The Difference Between A ‘Lake’ And A ‘Pond’